Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Time to Make a Shift

"I didn't realize I could have a personal relationship with God - Growing up, it was just sort of this communal thing, something everybody did."

"I've been panicking about my future a lot lately. Asking a lot of questions. God's showing me how to ask the right ones, and he's interrupting that feedback loop that just fuels the panic."

"That seminar really helped me... usually when I talk to people who don't believe in Jesus, I just debate it with them. But now I get that I can have compassion, and ask questions. I can stop trying to 'win' the conversation, but see them like Jesus does."

These were a couple of the realizations that York students had at shift this past weekend. Our topic, "real faith for real life," was about cultivating a faith that can flex with our ups-and-downs experience of life.

Moving from a static faith to a dynamic one...

... from shallow relationships to deep ones...

... from an inherited religion to a personal relationship...

It was a weekend of looking at the psalms and understanding how David could go from "I will praise the Lord at all times" to "Dash my enemies infants on the rocks!" and still be right with God. To realize that God isn't impressed by how filtered and reserved we are in prayer - He wants in on the most raw, sensitive, real parts of our experience of life; it's there that healing can happen.

It was such a joy to see the kinds of transformation God was working in students' lives this weekend, and I am so excited to see where God leads them from here. Pray with me for "fresh fruit" from students' experience of real, shared faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment