Thursday, September 2, 2010

Putting the 'Fun' Back In 'Fund-Raising'



List of observations and questions
 from our study of Philippians
They say that you learn things more deeply by teaching others. Today I led a 5 hour crash-course in fund-raising to a group of 8 college students who are preparing for Sidewalks, a 6-week, incarnational mission project in inner-city Lancaster. I don’t know that I learned anything new, per se, but I was absolutely blessed with two important reaffirmations. 

1. Fund-raising isn’t a ‘necessary evil’:
In my line of work, I meet a lot of people who, when they hear I raise my salary, say things like, “Wow, that must be so hard,” or “Ouch,” or “I’m glad I don’t have to do that!”  Raising support has gotten a really bad rap! But today, I led my students in a study of chapter 4 of Paul’s letter to the Philippians, which is, in a sense, a thank-you note from a missionary to his supporters.

We discovered something cool...

"I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it.” Now, Paul’s an old man by now, many of his friends have abandoned him over the years, many of the churches he’s founded have imploded, and to top it all off, he’s in prison! Not only has he not been embittered by the hardships he’s endured, but he even considers this latest setback to be an opportunity for deeper partnership!

This has vast implications for how we view the need for fund-raising. Our current need of support is not a necessary evil, but an opportunity for others to invest themselves in our success and work! It’s a special occasion, a chance not to be missed for our friends to extend grace, love, and partnership! What a far cry that is from what we typically think of when we hear the dreaded words “fund-raising.” Which brings us to the next point… 

2. Fund-raising is about building partnerships:
 Perhaps this should be more obvious than it is, but the sad truth is that when we ask or are asked for money, we tend to expect the worst kind of awkwardness. Partners, however, don’t get all weird when they discuss a joint venture.

From what we could tell of Paul’s relationship with his friends at Philippi, it was frank, respectful, warm, and mutually beneficial. He seemed to think that what was good for him and his ministry was also good for his supporters, because they were more than just an ATM to him. They were his partners, friends, and family in the critical mission he was on.

It’s easy to take a utilitarian, need-oriented view of raising support. I’ve been guilty of it at times, and I’d bet I’m not alone. But Paul sets a tone for us to strive toward – when our relationship with donors is respectful, honest, grateful, and warm, there can exist an evolving mutuality, a natural sharing of joys and trials, a friendship that can span decades and distance. When I see Paul’s example, I wonder how I could ever have settled for anything less.

I’m excited. I’m excited to work more closely with my student-friends, and to celebrate with them in their fund-raising joys and to grieve with them in their fund-raising frustrations. I’m excited to return to a joyful, happy fund-raising place for my own support “needs.” Or, as Paul would describe them, “opportunities.”

1 comment:

  1. That's cool Evan. I think I remember you saying once that you kinda like fundraising...not surprising, I thought when we met you were pretty good at it!

    ReplyDelete